NUWC Newport Division, RI Housing and Relocation Information

    Housing Information
    On-base housing is not available at NUWC Newport Division, but could possibly be available at NS Newport. Basic Allowance For Housing (BAH) is provided by the military to help active service members with housing costs, and can be used for either on- or off-post housing.

    • The NS Newport Housing Services Office (HSO) (401) 841-2232 should be your first point of contact when you receive moving orders, and provides services that will help you with referrals, relocation assistance, guidance for entering a lease agreement and tenant-landlord disputes.

    NUWC Newport Division On Base Housing

    • NS Newport Unaccompanied Personnel Housing (UPH) ( 401) 841-7900 can assist single service members with check-in requirements, room assignment and barracks protocols.

    • On-base housing for NUWC Newport may be offered at NS Newport, which is privatized. To check available housing for your rank and family size, contact Balfour Beatty Communities (401) 846-8877. They have 2-5 bedroom single family and townhome styles residences with varying amenities, such as: washer/dryer hookups, garage, dishwasher and patio. Community features are: picnic areas, fitness centers, playgrounds and more.

    NUWC Newport Division, RI Off Base Housing

    55 North Rd Jamestown 2 Bed / 2 Bath / 1,000 Sq.Ft. / $2,800 | Home for Rent 4.1 miles from Gate 23 (Pier Access Rd)

    Helpful links for buying a home near NUWC Newport Division, RI:

    Surrounding Areas
    The warfare center is co-located with NS Newport on Aquidneck Island in Narragansett Bay. The small city of Newport is just south of the bases on the western side of the island. There are not many other towns on this small island, but the mainland of Rhode Island and the state of Massachusetts are within a 30-40 minute commute. Towns on the island include Middletown, Melville, and Portsmouth. Jamestown is located on its own island west of Aquidneck. On the coast of Rhode Island are communities such as Saunderstown, North Kingstown, and Narragansett. Fall River, Massachusetts, is just across the Sakonnet Bridge on the north end of the island.

    About the Installation
    The Naval Undersea Warfare Center Newport Division is a test, development and evaluation center for submarines, autonomous underwater systems, and defensive weapons systems. The Newport Division is part of the Naval Sea Systems Command that is headquartered in Newport, Rhode Island, and is one of two Naval Undersea Warfare Centers, the other being Naval Undersea Warfare Center Keyport Division. Newport Division also controls the Fox Island and Gould Island facilities.